Kalonji or Black Seed (Nigella sativa) seems to be taking over the scientific limelight from turmeric. Numerous studies have found it highly effective, and safer than modern drugs, in treating many modern chronic ailments, such as colon cancer, type two diabetes, hypertension, and many more ailments.
Kalonji has been shown to carry the following properties:
- Analgesic (Pain-Killing)
- Gluconeogenesis Inhibitor (Anti-Diabetic)
- Hepatoprotective (Liver Protecting)
- Insulin Sensitizing
- Interferon Inducer
- Leukotriene Antagonist
- Renoprotective (Kidney Protecting)
- Tumour Necrosis Factor Alpha Inhibitor
As with all such powerful herbs, this seed should to be taken in the right amount (in other words don’t overdo it) and usually in combination with other herbs or spices.
Kalonji Spice Mix
You can use Kalonji on a daily basis in a spice mix. (If you don’t want to make your own, Kalonji is a key ingredient of Emotional Balance Spice Mix from Maharishi Ayurveda Products.)
- 2 parts Kalonji seeds
- 2 parts cumin seeds
- 6 parts coriander seeds
- 6 parts fennel seeds
- 1 part turmeric powder
- Powder the whole spices in a spice or coffee grinder.
- Mix in the turmeric powder
- Take 1 tsp of the mixture and sauté in Ghee for a minute
- Add to your soups, dhal, vegetables, or salad.
- Add ¼ tsp of Kalonji per 4oz of flour
- Add hot water and a little salt and knead into a dough.
- Roll out the dough and cook in a dry frying pan
- Click here for a detailed description of chapati making
This will add a lot of flavour to your bread.
- 1 tbsp lightly toasted Kalonji
- 10 green lightly toasted cardamoms
- Powder the spices in a spice or coffee grinder
- Bring a cup of milk to a boil
- Add ½ tsp of the spice mixture to the milk