A Closer Look at Stress-Free Emotions
A Knowledge Article with Anand Srivastava, Chairman of Maharishi AyurVeda Products Pvt. Ltd.
At Maharishi AyurVeda, our process of designing herbal formulas is not simply just combining herbs together. We lean into the ancient knowledge of Ayurveda, which enables our formulas to come into power and truly balance the doshas.
When designing a formula, we first acknowledge our objective. What is this product supposed to do? And then we determine the involvement of the doshas. When we select the herbs, we look at the actions of the individual herbs. We select balancing herbs that will help in delivering the effect of the other herbs.
In Ayurveda, the combination of herbs is very important. Each formula includes balancing herbs, called Yogavahis, which increase the potential of the other herbs. This way the quantity of the other herbs can be reduced substantially while producing the same effect – efficiency in action.
Whether the formula has two, three, four, or in some cases as many as seventy herbs, each ingredient is added to create a synergistic effect. And this synergistic effect is that the total result, potency, is much greater than the sum of all of the parts. So, the formula comes into power through the combination of herbs.
We can also compare a Yogavahi with the activity known as a catalyst, which generally does not participate in a chemical reaction, but is necessary, as some chemical reactions take place only in their presence.
When we look closely at Stress-Free Emotions, the very first dosha balancing effect is a reduction in Vata dosha and the second is Pitta dosha. In Vata, there are five subdoshas. The main subdosha that is involved here is Vyana Vata, located mainly in the heart. And the Pitta subdosha which is involved is Sadhaka Pitta, which is the subdosha located in the heart and brain. When we talk about the heart, we think of not just the physical heart which pumps the blood and sustains life, but also the emotional heart.
Balance both Vata and Pitta
With Stress-Free Emotions our objective is to balance both Vata and Pitta, so the herbs selected for this formula are calming and cooling. Every herb has a characteristic.
- The most important herb in this formula is arjuna, known in Ayurveda as a very good heart tonic. It supports the heart, and at the same time, it is a cooling herb, balancing for Pitta.
- The next herb is cabbage rose flower petal. These petals are also helpful in supporting heart activity, strengthening the heart, digestion, and improving the appetite. At the same time, they are also a Rasayana, a substance that actually balances all of the doshas.
- Next is amla. It is mainly used for balancing Pitta due to its cooling nature.
- Next is ashwagandha, a Rasayana that is supportive of the activity of the heart.
- Tulsi, Holy Basil leaf, is balancing for Vata.
- Heart-leaf Sida is a heart tonic that is cooling; it is also helpful with the activities of the mind.
- Cardamom is helpful in improving appetite and supporting brain functioning.
- Nutmeg is Vata balancing, and it is a good heart tonic.
- Liquorice is cooling, and it is a Rasayana.
- Tulsi is good for the heart, and it’s pacifying for Vata.
- Pippali, long pepper, is a Rasayana helpful in balancing Vata. It improves appetite and improves digestion.
- Pearl is actually two-fold; it is a cooling substance and helpful directly with the heart. It is a good source of calcium because this is important in supporting the heart. Since cooling is required, we have to balance Pitta, so we include pearl in this formula. Pearl is used in two different forms, a powder processed with rose water and pearl powder processed with aloe vera juice.
All of these herbs are then processed into a powder with dwarf morning glory extract, which has a good effect on the mind and is also helpful in reducing indecisiveness — and then pressed into a herbal tablet to create Stress-Free Emotions.
First and foremost, Stress-Free Emotions is very helpful in balancing Vata.
When Vata is present and not addressed, it can move and start affecting the other doshas, such as Pitta. Increased Vata can cause feelings of anxiousness.
When these feelings are ignored, then emotions can swing high, and Pitta gets involved. Couple a swing of emotions with anger or heat and this imbalance starts turning into more of an emotional disturbance — overthinking, getting angry, selfishness, or Pitta imbalance. We take care of the causative factor first, which is an imbalance in Vata, and then we take care of the secondary causative factor, which is the movement of Pitta. So, the main dosha balanced by Stress-Free Emotions is Vata, the secondary is Pitta.
Back to Yogavahis, the substances that increase the propensity and help with the overall effectiveness of the herbs. The Yogavahi in Stress-Free Emotions is Mica Bhasma, a purified, oxidized mineral. Mica powder is incinerated with herbs in a stone vessel for several hours until it forms a paste. This process is repeated 100 times and can take almost a year to make.
For Stress-Free Emotions, Mica Bhasma was chosen for two reasons; first of all, it is helpful for heart health and secondly, it helps enhance the efficacy absorption of the other ingredients. It is also helpful in supporting the mind. A weak mind that is not supported properly can create Pitta-imbalance, and that starts to cause emotional imbalance. This Yogavahi is effective on the heart and mind, and, also helps in calming down anger and reducing unnecessary thinking.
Stress-Free Emotions, our powerful, synergistically blended formula promotes positive thinking and emotional stability through balancing Vata and Pitta doshas.
Stress-Free Emotions (MA1694)
For natural resistance to emotional stress and fatigue; promotes emotional balance, positive feelings, and feelings of fulfilment.
Emotional Balance = Strong Mind & Body
- 97% organic ingredients.
- Smooth the emotional highs & lows throughout the day.
- Powerful pitta-balancing formula.
- Reduces anger.
- Increases resistance to emotional stress & fatigue.
- Increases self-confidence, positive thinking & motivation.
- Powerful formulation with arjuna, amla & ashwagandha.
- Vata & Pitta dosha balancing.
© Copyright 2019 Maharishi Ayurvedic Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved.
DISCLAIMER: The information in this document is presented for the sole purpose of imparting education on Maharishi AyurVeda and neither the information nor the products are intended to diagnose, treat, mitigate, cure or prevent any disease. If you have a medical condition or are pregnant or lactating, please consult a health professional and it is recommended that you speak with your physician before making significant changes to your diet or routine.